Friday, January 21, 2011

Next Phase of Recovery -- Air Boot

Today, I had my blue cast removed and replaced with an air boot. The blue cast was cut off with this vibrating saw and then pried away with some fancy tools after which the white bandages were cut away.

I was instructed to move my foot back and forth but I still can't bear weight on it. I need to still use crutches for 3 more weeks but I start physio therapy as soon as possible. After 3 weeks, I can start to walk on it with the boot but will still use crutches. At the 6 week mark, I should be walking without crutches using the boot.

Here I look happy to have the boot on! But I was a bit disappointed that I'm still non-weight-bearing for 3 weeks. Even worse, I can't swim for 3 weeks. I am happy to have the boot, though, because I can take it off. I have to sleep in it so that will take getting used to. It is heavier than my blue cast and I am having trouble getting comfortable in my old positions so will have to figure out new ways to relax.

I can take it off to have a bath and already have!! Here are a few pictures of my foot before the bath. This one compares my two feet/legs. Here is the inside of foot. The steri strips will fall off in a few days. Here is the outside of my foot and the bottom of both feet.

It's hard to tell the difference in these "after the bath" pictures, but it is definitely cleaner and a lot of dry skin has been removed: The outside of my foot. Check out the skinny calf!! The inside of the foot. My feet together (Woody waits and watches). Finally, the bottom of my feet.

1 comment:

  1. I get my cast off in November 2011 thanks for posting all the blogs.

    ReplyDelete