Thursday, January 13, 2011

Plateau ... or Progress?

It has been a long time since I've posted. Mostly because I don't feel like I have much "new" to report. In a way I feel kind of stuck at this level of recovery: cast on foot, energy in the morning, work at my computer lying on my back for as long as I can during the day, some outing most days (coffee, lunch, visit to the in-law's, etc.), tired in the evening, sore foot in the evening (mostly burning all down the outside of it), sleep, repeat ....

But then I thought about it and I think I may be making progress. The tops of my baby and next-to-baby toes are getting more feeling in them and I can sleep in 3 positions now (instead of just 2). I can move my foot around a bit in my cast (I'm probably not supposed to but I kind of like moving it). I'm getting pretty good at crutching and I even figured out how to get a cup of coffee (any liquid really) from the kitchen to the living room without spilling it: pick up cup, move cup as far along counter as I can reach, put down cup, crutch, pick up cup, repeat [at one point I have to move it from counter to coffee table but if I position myself in between the 2, it's doable!] Basically, I can do a lot more on my own.

I only have 8 sleeps until I see the surgeon next and maybe I'll get the cast off (fingers crossed ... hey, I can even cross my toes!!)

2 comments:

  1. Hello, really hoping you get this as I am in much needed help. I had posterior tendon surgery back in November 7 2011. A couple of days before Christmas the cast came off (12/22/11) It is now January 2012 and i am unable to find a physio therapist within my network. My doctor has not returned my calls with my concerns. So it has led me here to the internet. I am looking for exercises to help me. But honestly I am completely clueless and desperate. Please some insight would be greatly appreciated. I am a 30 yr old wife, college student, and mom of a 5 yr old. And live on a 3rd floor apartment. My life is very busy and with this and not knowing what to do. I am at a lost. I would like some stability with a minimum amount of exhaustion and pain. Something tolerable without so much confusion and desperation.
    Thank you,
    Desy, from NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I am 18 weeks post surgery. I had 5 procedures, lengthening of the Achilles' tendon
    Replacement of posterior tibial tendon, 2 heel procedures, and a metatrsil fusion.gastronomic lengthening, and after 8 weeks of PT, I am barely walking except with a walker or cane. Now I have a case of sciatica from all the PT. I'm very disappointed in my recovery. Thinking my PT is not giving me support where I need it. Frustrated and exhausted after 5 nonths

    ReplyDelete