Thursday, December 30, 2010

Stitches Removal and New Cast!

Today, I had my visit with the surgeon, saw my x-rays, had my old bandage/cast/splint removed, had the stitches removed, and a new cast put on. I was really nervous for it. I was afraid of moving my foot and resting it on the bed with no cast on it. The dr. said it looked good, was healing well, and there wasn't too much swelling. The most swelling is on the outside where they went in to break the heel. The inside actually looks slightly less swollen that it has been for the past 2 years or so!!

The burning I've been feeling is apparently partly a result of swelling after too much activity during the day and partly the nerve firing in ways my brain can't process as it returns to normal. The numbness is all the way down the outside of my foot and on my heel. I can feel touching and such so it is not nerve damage. It may take a few more weeks to be fully back to normal.

The physio therapist (Neuville) who took the cast off, removed my stitches and put on the new cast was excellent. He was very understanding of my nervousness and was very gentle. I have a light-weight cast (fibreglass) and it is blue (I had a choice: white, black, blue).

When I first got there, I went for x-rays. The screws were clearly visible. The splint cast and bandage that came off (check out how hard I'm gripping with my hands!) was messy inside with dried blood (ugh). I spent a bit of time shaking after it first came off but calmed down somewhat while waiting for the stitches to be removed (I'm such a whimp -- it didn't even hurt, I was just nervous). There were about 8-9 stitches on the inside of my foot, 4-5 on the outside of my foot where they went in to break the heel (this is looking up my leg), and 1 in each of two holes in my heel where the screws went in. Here you can see the purple arrow they drew on my foot to indicate this was the "right" (correct) one!!

After the stitches were removed, steristrips were put on. Then a sock like thing was put on my foot and I had to flex it as much as possible (which was difficult but I was able to do it). If it wasn't flexed, then when the cast came off, I'd be stuck walking on my toes! It is also turned in to the left (inside) a bit because it will encourage healing in my tendon which was quite damaged. It just means that I'll have to work to stretch it during the physio after the cast comes off.

I lay on my stomach to get the cast put on. I think this was Neuville's way of keeping me from freaking out too much. He was also quick to put my bed flat to keep me from watching during the removal of the stitches (which I must admit didn't hurt very much at all). He first put a bunch of soft cloth in the heel / foot area. The cast is still wet here. Finally, I get a glimpse of the new blue cast and here I look pretty pleased to have the ordeal over with!!

As long as the cast is on, I'll have to keep my foot above my knee as much as possible. My next appointment is Feb. 4 ... which is 5 weeks instead of 4 because my surgeon is away the previous week. I expect then I'll get this cast off and start the physio.

I asked about advil vs. tylenol because I don't find the tylenol helps. The surgeon said that advil discourages bone healing. Who knew? So, tylenol it is ... or maybe I'll switch to wine ... just kidding!

1 comment:

  1. I had the same thing done yesterday. I was shaky too. It was a shock to see all the cuts & I immedially thought it would never heal. There was a choice of 8 cast colours! I have my pink fibeglass cast & go back in a month. My dr is away then so am seeing his colleage. I dont want to wait an extra week. Life is better with the lighter cast.it was great to get out but dificult. I live in a bilevel so its a challenge. Am really happy I rented this knee walker. It works great & is much better than crutches for me.

    ReplyDelete