Saturday, December 11, 2010

Preparing for Surgery

I have three days left of mobility (as my sister phrased it) and I have been preparing for the surgery in a variety of ways: emotionally, physically, and logistically.

Emotional preparation is the hardest part. I'm a bit scared but I don't know what I'm afraid of, really. I joined a yahoo group of people who have had this and similar procedures for posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. That has made me more anxious ... the pictures of peoples' ankles, the stories of long recoveries. But when my sister said "only x more days of mobility", it made me think that the worst part is really the lack of mobility. And, while I don't relish being immobile, I actually think I can handle that. So I'm now less scared. Thank you, Soupy.

Physical preparation has been my focus for a couple of months. I've been swimming a lot to strengthen my lungs, heart, and upper body. I haven't felt this fit in a long time. I swam over 29,000 metres in November which is the most I've swam in one month since March 2009 and I hit 1,000,000 metres on December 2! My team encouraged me a lot and I'm grateful to them for their support.

Logistical preparation mainly requires being organized. I've got most of my Christmas shopping done (thanks to help from my mom and Donny). I've never been this organized this early for Christmas!! I will have my marking done (thanks to Rhonda for picking up extra instructor work while I'm off). I have tidied up some loose ends with students and hope that things go smoothly for them while I'm away. I have purchased a big pillow, a seat for the bath-tub, borrowed crutches, and made plans to live on one floor in the house for a while.

So, I think I'm ready. Only one more swim meet on Sunday and a few meetings on Monday at work and I'll be good to go on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment