Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 6

I've discovered that my "Day n" post is mostly about "Day n-1" because "Day n" isn't finished when I write the Day n post! Does that make sense? It does in my brain ...

Yesterday (Day 5), I tried to take tylenol instead of percocet for one dose and I paid for that decision. The pain was constant and strong all day even after I took a percocet in the afternoon. So, last night I took 2 percocets before bed and had a terrific sleep. Even when I woke up in the night, I didn't feel uncomfortable and could change position without too much pain at all. I also took 2 this morning when I woke up. Now I will try for 1 every 4-6 hours. It seems if one gets into a position of significant pain, it is hard to get back out to feeling okay. So, I will more slowly wean myself off these meds.

The "Nurse Navigator" phoned last night. This is a really neat service that is being piloted in a couple of hospitals in Toronto. One of the nurse navigators came to see me in the hospital before I was released and introduced herself. They call you after you get home (if you agree to being called) to check how you are doing. They also give you a phone number and email address so you can contact them. It is supposed to cut down on the number of people who have to come back to emergency after surgery. It is also reassuring to know there is a number to call if you have questions or concerns.

I've had a pretty good day so far (Day 6). I'm doing more and more for myself but it's tricky to crutch and carry anything. I'm going to have to rig up a back pack or something to carry stuff as I crutch around.

My sister came over last night for dinner and asked me if it kind of nice to be able to lie around and do nothing and I have to say it isn't really even a little nice!! I actually did think it would be nice to have an excuse to do nothing but it is pretty frustrating to be dependent on other people.

Maureen and Frank came by today. I always enjoy a visit with them. I even got up to crutch to the front door to see them off, navigating the 4 stairs down and back up by myself!! Martina came again today too. It is so great to have these visits with her. She brought me a Sudoku book which is great because I think my mom was tired of printing online puzzles for me!

So far so good on Day 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment