Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Adventures

Well, I'm getting better every day. I must say that I felt quite down for a couple of days after the percocets ended. I'm not sure if it was related to going off them but I was certainly emotionally low for a couple of days. It was good to be distracted by all the activity and energy around Christmas. I feel much better now and am thankful to my family and friends for cheering me up so much and putting up with my emotional weirdness. I also had a bit of trouble with one of the common side effects of the tylenol ... I won't go into detail here but ... Yikes! Lesson learned!

Christmas Eve, Donny's dad and his sister and her family came over and we had a nice dinner with my them and my parents, too. So, we had Peter, Jenny, Milan, Kristina, Amanda, and Jessica over. Maddy and Aleks came over too so we had a houseful of kids which made it even more fun! Here are the kids by the tree and Woody in his Christmas "outfit". I sat at the table for much of dinner (my dad helped me get settled in my spot with my foot on the piano bench!). This was my longest time at the table yet and I even had a small glass of wine! But had to return to my favourite couch position to get my foot above my heart after a while.

On Christmas day, I had two outings to my sister and Geoff's house. We went over after lunch for a visit and gift exchange then returned there for dinner. It was a long day and I was pretty exhausted at the end of it. My foot felt like it was
going to explode by the time we got back home. The tylenol doesn't really seem to help but I'm pretending it does and hoping for a placebo effect! Here I am at Sue and Geoff's with Donny and my dad.

On Boxing Day, we had our annual Secret Santa party. For the first time in a long time (forever?), I did none of the dinner prep. It is a weird feeling to sit back and let others create the dinner. It was delicious! Donny used Uncle Frank's marinade on a beef tenderloin then BBQ'd it to perfection. We had roasted potatoes (my mom's creation), BBQ'd asparagus, Donny's awesome caesar salad, and green beans. Delicious! We exchanged gifts: I gave moccasins to Mary and Susan gave a gorgeous sweater to me.

On Monday, we went to Donalda Club for lunch with Lynn and Linda. It was really nice and much of the Gray family was there. Kevin was curling in a bonspiel while we were there so we got too see a couple of his awesome shots! My foot was down for too long, though, and again it felt like it was going to explode. Here I am with it up on the table as I eat. Peter commented that it was ironic there was a Club rule against txting but it was okay to have your foot on the table??!! "What kind of a Club is this?"

I came home and lay in bed with my foot up and read my book for a couple of hours and it felt good again. The sunset was beautiful last night and I got to see that from my window as I recovered my foot.

So, that recounts the busy weekend! I see improvement but realize that I can't push things too much because my foot must still be above my heart for the majority of the time. I have noticed that there seems to be room in my cast so when I move it around, it feels like my foot is moving around in the cast (splint) slightly. I guess the swelling is down.

No comments:

Post a Comment