Tuesday, March 1, 2011

11 Weeks

Today, the first day of March, marks 11 weeks since the surgery. This morning, I accidentally walked in my boot with the 2 top straps undone ... well, not totally by accident. I sat down to do my exercises, started to undo my boot, and realized I forgot something. After undoing the top 2 straps (out of 3), I got up and walked. Wow ... what a difference if that boot isn't there to stop my leg from going forward. It was a bit of a shock but I didn't fall down, slowed myself down, and I kept going for a few steps. I actually started to get used to it! I can almost imagine walking without the boot. My physio therapist thinks the surgeon will say I can start transitioning to a shoe and brace after my appointment on Friday (March 4th).

I have been getting more and more exercises to do at physio therapy. I now do 3 sets of 4 things on the wobble board while sitting (up / down, left / right, circles clockwise and counterclockwise), bike for 20 minutes (level 9!), 30 leg presses, and now 20 calf raises on the leg press machine. Therefore, including the ultrasound, TENS, manipulation / stretching by the physio therapist, my physio appointment takes about 1.5 hours. I go 3x per week.

My exercises at home 3x per day are: back and forth 20x, left and right 20x, 10 circles each direction, write the alphabet, standing and stretching with right leg in front and behind (3x each for 15 seconds), pulling on my foot with a towel bent and straight (3x each for 15 seconds), with a theraband (15x slowly each): pull forward (toes to nose), push back (pointing my toe), in turn, out turn. If I do it straight, I can get done in 20-30 minutes but I usually need a bit of a break with foot rubbing in between some of the stuff (especially after the standing stretches ... they are the hardest and hurt the most).

Yesterday, I tried lying on my stomach on the floor. It sounds like that would be easy but just having the top of my foot flat on the floor provides a good stretch. It felt good so I tried a plank on my toes and I was able to do it! That felt good so I tried a downward dog flow ... it wasn't pretty but I was able to do it ... except for doing a proper roll-over-the-toes transition from upward dog to downward dog. I think I will add this new set to my daily exercises (probably just once per day).

I fashioned a boot cover out of an Appleton Rum nylon bag to protect my foot and boot from snow and slush when I go to physio or swimming. It is bright red so I look quite funny in it ... but it works!

Swimming is going well. I am able to do pretty much the whole workout and all the strokes now (except I breaststroke kick). I also sometimes stretch instead of doing all of the kick sets. I've started doing slow, deliberate flip turns (I'm mostly afraid of banging my foot on the side of the pool -- even though I've only ever done that once or twice before in my whole life)! I only push off with my left foot but have started placing my right foot on the side when I push off to get used to it being there instead of keeping in the air! After swimming, my foot is the least swollen that I ever see it and it feels much looser after, too. I appreciate my team-mates who pick me up and take me home because I can't drive yet. I promise to be the "bus driver" for several weeks in a row when I'm able to drive.

I am now out of my boot most of the time and only put it on to move around the house (ie, walk or stand) and sleep. I was told by the surgeon to wear it to bed and until recently I preferred to have it on while sleeping but lately I've been thinking I would prefer to sleep without it. Hopefully, he'll say I can do that after my appointment this Friday.

Today, I'm on my own and the sun is shining and it is not wet or slushy, so I took Woody for a very short walk. I was able to avoid all icy spots on the sidewalk and we had a nice 20 min walk together! He was very patient and didn't pull on his leash. So, I'm making progress ... and, best of all, I pretty much never feel down any more. I think the increased mobility and my ability to return to swimming have really made a difference in the way I feel emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment