Friday, March 11, 2011

After 1 week of walking with no boot

My walking is improving every day. I can feel the strength coming back. It almost feels like I'm working out all the time muscle-wise!! I guess walking to the kitchen and back is a workout for my wasted leg muscles! I still have a limp and my balance is off but I'm working on standing on my right foot to improve my balance. I can't push up on my toes on my right foot at all. I couldn't before the surgery but this is something I should hopefully be able to do again eventually. I'll keep trying. My foot still swells quite a bit after walking but I'm supposed to keep going (push through the pain). My physiotherapist says I am coming down on the outside of my foot when I walk ... probably from years of over compensating for the arch collapse. I have to work on walking heel, toe and pushing off with my toes. I haven't done that for many years so it will take some work. Apparently, I have a look of consternation on my face when I'm walking ... Andrew and Hazel like to imitate me!!

Swimming is going really well. I do full flip turns now and push off with both feet. I am able to pretty much (almost) keep up with my pre-surgery lane-mates for most sets. I can even go ahead of some people on the kick sets and backstroke sets! And, I've been doing the breast-stroke kick!! Last night, I swam 3950 yards! That's the furthest I've swam in one workout since returning ... actually, since May 2010! I even improved my stroke somewhat after watching video of myself. Thank goodness for the Gators: coaches and swimmers ... and especially the Don Mills Bus Drivers who take me to swimming and back every time.

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog several weeks ago, prior to my own PTTD surgery, in searching for information as to what to expect during recovery following my procedure. This morning was my 6 week post-op followup appointment. My surgery was February 1, which is 7 weeks after yours. Your running commentary has been a great source of information and hope for me! I'm 41, and my surgery came as a complete shock to me, having gone in to the orthopedist with a "sore, achey, tired foot" and being told that I needed surgery to reconstruct a tendon before it ruptured entirely. I had an osteotomy, but not a transfer. My surgeon is very, very conservative with the recovery. I had to remain "toes above nose" in bed for the first 4 weeks and on house-arrest until the 6 week mark. I'm in my third hard cast now, and will remain so until I get placed into a boot at the 10 week mark. Thank you for all the insight and experience. And continued good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr.Micheal Nirenberg is the most recognized and experienced podiatrist surgeon in Northwest Indiana. He has a vast and professional experience in handling all kinds of foot and ankle cases and he has also expertise in forensic podiatrist.

    podiatrist Crown Point

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Tach Disease,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Skin Cancer,
    Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,a
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia ,Parkinson's disease,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,
    Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Tach Disease,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes.
    Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. Whatsapp...+2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete